Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Believing Game: Gun Control

I believe in gun control; not removing all guns from all people but certainly more stringent laws than are in place in many states. So for this exercise I am going to (try to) speak from the perspective of an NRA-card carrying member who believes foremost in the right to bear arms.


The worldview that underlies this belief is that of American superiority and the inalienable individual rights that come with being an American. This is most often linked back to the foundations of our nation, including, but not limited to, the Constitution and Bill of Rights. By holding this worldview, I believe that the government can not infringe on most individual rights including the right to bear arms. As a result, I am more likely to notice what is going on in politics, especially any challenges to the Constitution or Bill of Rights and I am more likely to vote for politicians who share my worldview. This is helpful because I believe I am ensuring the rights bestowed by our forefathers for future generations. Also, I tend to be more involved in politics and am more likely to vote because I am very passionate about preserving my rights. I want to ensure every law-abiding citizen that wants to can carry a weapon, and a concealed weapon at that, for personal protection. Gun control proponents say they want to keep guns out of the hands of criminals but I believe they want to take guns away from everyone and make it impossible for us to protect ourselves and our families. I will do everything in my power to ensure that doesn’t happen for it would destroy what this country is about.

As a card-carrying member of the NRA, I also have a large knowledge of guns and enjoy shooting, for hunting and/or recreation. This knowledge of guns allows me to be more likely to identify when someone around me is carrying, what type of gun they are carrying, and whether or not they are obeying the carry laws of the locale we are in. This knowledge can be helpful in protecting myself and my loved ones from any possible outside threats. If necessary, the fact that I am always carrying a gun will ensure I can act in self-defense or in the defense of my family.

This worldview is true in the sense that we are the only nation that was founded on the principles of democracy…government of the people, by the people, and for the people. Our Constitution and Bill of Rights are documents designed to protect a host of individual freedoms. Philosophers and men of learning have said for thousands of years that self-defense is a basic right of life and that without the ability to defend ourselves, we are not truly able to live as free men. If that is true, than my right to bear arms can not be infringed upon by any man or government.


I used a few different sources to help me understand the point of view of NRA members a little better. They are:
“Battleground America”; The New Yorker
The NRA's website
"The Second Amendment and the Ideology of Self-Protection"; Constitutional Commentary

No comments:

Post a Comment